15 June 2008

It's Kicks Ass


I have noticed that this blog has taken somewhat of a darker pessimistic tone so I have decided to share some of my recent accomplishments, with captions;
  • I found the source of the smell in my apt and removed it, lets just say it was once something editable
  • I returned my library books, yes they were a week late but that just go to show that it is cheaper for me in the long run to just buy them
  •  I managed to put my brace o this morning with my eyes closed, wasn't quite ready to say good morning to the world
  • I also got my car inspected the the oil changed, it did however take me getting a ticket for it though.

In other new I stubbled on a album by Joby Talbot in iTunes. He is this kick ass composer who is currently blowing my mind.   In general I like two types of classical music;
  1. Modern, very clean melodic lines, and the darker the better.
  2. Strongly jazz influenced, whimsical, and sounds like something you would hear in cartoons. 
I bought The Dying Swan- Music for One to Seven Player is word of word how I like music for the first type to be, that you just need to buy the album yourself.  It is a musical experience.  To back track a bit let me explain that I first came upon him through his work on the score of Son of Rambow.  It was a bit repetitive for my liking but it did interest me enough to look into his work.  Thats how I found his Dying Swan CD this morning. Fast forward to moments ago I worked my way over to his web site and found that he had worded on an re-imagined CD based on Jack White/ the White Stripes called Aluminium.  Now I try to not buy more then one CD in any given week, but an exception had to be made in this case.  It's just that good.  It is hard core my second type of classical music and very much like his work in Son of Rambow. I usually think that classical artist who over popular songs are sell outs and void of any original ideas, but not with him and not with this CD.  I strongly suggest if you have heard "Astro" to play his version, or at least sample it for crying out loud.  It's kicks ass.

No comments: